Sharing my experiences to help others.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Day 4


On Wednesday, May 12th, I picked my 3 pound package of Italian Honeybees from Waldo, OH. Installing them in the top-bar hive my dad and I designed and built was a breeze, not one sting! Our design has two panels on the side which expose two windows into the hive; this is a fantastic way to observe the natural hive. This design uses no frames, allowing the honeybees to design the size and shape of the comb to the hive's specifications. It is incredible to see this process taking place; however, the fact of the matter is just this afternoon did we notice the pure white comb! We just thought they were surrounding the queen (who, yesterday, was still in her cage). Stupid me forgot to unplug the cork stopper at the end of the queen cage...so I had to correct that yesterday evening.
Around four o-clock each day the hive is in a flurry of activity - I assume from the heat of the day. The majority of bees are in the hive surrounding the one panel of comb (we can see).

No comments:

Post a Comment