Sharing my experiences to help others.

Sunday, May 23, 2010



After returning from Cleveland this afternoon, I swung by the hive before picking up Carmen. The comb is getting significantly bigger - especially the four center most combs seen in the photo. Tomorrow is the expected delivery date for my bee-hood and gloves. I need to get inside to take out the pollen substitute patty (that the bees are not eating) and the queen cage. I just hope they haven't attached their comb to this...but they probably have :).

The substitute patty has disappointed me; I am not sure if there is enough pollen outside the hive that they are not interested or the recipe I found was not a winner. Additionally, the sugar syrup I had outside the hive has not attracted anything but ants... I'm assuming they just didn't need it; however, more experimentation is needed. It currently contains soy flour and brewer's yeast - two high-protein supplements, and is held together with sugar syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment