Sharing my experiences to help others.

Monday, May 24, 2010

POLLEN & NECTAR! Oh my!!!



This afternoon I invited my teaching co-hort Dawn F. to see the hive, I craned my neck to look at the front most comb and saw golden-orange pollen. Although my original shot was taken on a blackberry, I was convinced I could take a better shot - sorry bees for the flash.

The inner-most comb from what I can see are clear and most likely the brood comb.

I also saw the QUEEN laying eggs today! Top-bar hives (with windows) are so much better for the bees and the beekeeper. It was amazing to peer through the glass and watch the nurse bees turn to the queen as she made her way across the comb, dipping her thorax into various cells.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! AMAZING PICTURE! This is so interesting! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete